How to Clear A MacBook Pro to Sell – Format Your Mac’s Hard Drive
When selling your MacBook Pro, you want to make sure your data has been cleared from the hard drive. Most people think this is a complicated process. However, in recent years, Apple has made it very simple. Follow the instructions below on how to clear a MacBook Pro to sell. It will give you peace of mind when it’s time to sell your MacBook Pro.
You used to need the original OS install discs to perform a factory reset on your Mac. Apple has since developed a recovery partition that allows a user to wipe their hard drive and factory restore the OS without physical media. If you are running OS X 10.7 or newer, these are the steps to follow to restore your Mac:
Before erasing and reinstalling the OS, be sure to back up any important files ou may need in the future.
Use these steps if you need to erase a disk before installing OS X:
- Before beginning, make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- If your Mac is powered on, choose Apple menu > Restart. After OS X shuts down, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while the computer is restarting.
- After booting, select Utilities > Disk Utility
- Select the startup disk for your Mac from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
- In the Format menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your hard drive (Factory name is: Macintosh HD), and then click Erase.
- After the disk has been erased, select Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility. Or you can click the red circle at the top left corner of the window.
- If you did not connected to the Internet in step 1, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top-right corner of the screen).
Once your hard drive is erased, select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions to reinstall the operating system.
If you plan on using our MacBook Pro Trade In service, we include complete data removal to ensure your data is safe.